Thursday, July 24, 2008

You guys are going to call me absolutely `middle-class' (I love Ratna Pathak Shah for the way she says it in `Sarabhai vs Sarabhai') for this. But I genuinely believe DD National is the best Indian channel we have. IT has some singing shows, but the bulk of its programming is super stuff--series of cartoonists, how they work, series on rural issues, programme on health issues, educational material for children, lessons on morality and sensitive films.
Each time I click past DD National to Star, Zee, Sony, Sahara and what-have-you, I find someone or the other saying, Oh this contest means the world to me, I want to fulfil my mother's dream or I want to give my dog the best car in the world, and some sundry judges (often, has-beens such as Chunky Pandey, Raveena Tandon or Sonali Bendre and the nightmarishly omnipresent Malaika Arora-Khan).
Someone is praising a contestant or someone is fighting and someone else is crying copiously. Are these guys for real? Can't we have some real reality, people?

1 comment:

MUTHURAMAN said...

Seemaji,
DD does not have garam masala shows so no one looks at it,,, becos of that they dont get high end sponsors,, they too have contests and reality type shows but they are not star studded so no one sees them,, but DD's shows are decent and worth seeing for their content

rgds
muthuraman