Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Turns out Pixie is two months old.

Took her to the vet today who kept telling us, "She is very cute!"
Pixie lay frozen on the examination table- a glistening sheet of steel, too smooth for her to have any grip. More than the lack of a grip, the new surroundings scared her. She stood stiffly hanging on to the slippery floor by her long toenails for a good half hour. The vet looked at us sceptically when we told her how she scampers and climbs up people's legs all the time.
It certainly was a very different Pixie who stared blankly and fixedly into space while the vet went about opening her tiny mouth and checking her out in a hundred places.
Pixie weighs two kilos. The vet told us she will wean away soon enough and that it's time to feed her solids. We bought her some mineral cum vitamin supplements and puppy food. I'm hoping the vet knows her job because we are clueless about canine issues.
Now, about the focus of all the fuss, Pixie. Pixie got us worried with her behaviour.  Throughout the trip, she didn't move. When I lifted her to weigh her (they weigh me first and then weigh me with her!), I realised her heart was pounding. She was frozen in fear and trembling at the unfamiliar surroundings. So, I decided not to put her back on the steel floor. Instead, I cradled her and, caressing her back, cooed to her all the while. It took quite a while for this to work.
About ten minutes later, her heart beat was normal. On the way back in the car, she crawled under the seat as if to make herself  invisible. Only when I settled her on her home turf did the tail finally unfurl. It took a few more seconds for it to begin wagging.
And once she was sure, the frolicking began. She raced for my toes and then my salwar, then arched for a climb. When all these bites were sternly denied, she curled up, but only for one second. The next second she was up for another gig.
We finally have a picture and will post it soon.

No comments: