Friday, June 18, 2010

Today, we sent the pup-- we have named him Thambi, (Tamil for small brother) typifying cute and small for us -- out in the open.
Yesterday, it rested all day peacefully and drank some milk after some effort. He would nibble at the plastic container assuming it's edible. And then, I would have to make his tongue somehow make contact with the milk to make him understand. After two tries, he figured it out.
Early morning today, -- I am a late riser but was curious to know how he was faring -- I peeped into his room. He was fit and fine, and had clearly claimed ownership of the room. He had peed under the chair and pooped a little away. I sighed. I didnt really want to be cleaning up doggie poop first thing in the morning but the place was stinking and my maid would most certainly refuse.
The little fellow was oblivious to the mess he had made. He sat right behind the door, an adorable ball of shiny black coat, with pinkish paws and nose. He was probably lonely and delighted to see me. Wagging his tiny tail vigorously, he toddled towards me, in the process landing his front paws in some of his own piss. I shooed him away firmly, not wanting those paws anywhere on me. He thought it's a game, and went on wagging and chasing me. After two or three stern reminders to stay away, he understood that I was no friend and dolefully sulked under the table.
Amidst all that frenetic activity in the background, I wound my hands in some more plastic bags, and mopped up his various discharges with tissues and raced to the loo to throw it all away. Then, I stood there shuddering for a while at the realisation of what I had just done.
After washing my hands, I gave him warm milk. He had to be drawn to the container, but this time, he lapped it up on his own without further prompting. Just when I thought I was now free to do something about my life, I saw with considerable exasperation that I would have to go through the cleaning ritual all over again. Thambi had peed and pooed all over again in new places this time! Milk probably does this to him.
I cleaned up again, washed my hands again, gave him some more milk again. And then, I decided to wake up the hubby to give me a break. Bursting with new-found health, Thambi joyfully played with him for a while and then, very easily let himself be lifted out of the house. He knew he was in safe hands.
Hubby drove him to his office canteen where there are two more dogs for company. Last heard, he was playfully running after visitors and angling up the canteen staff's ankles even though he can barely walk. I pray that he grows up well and stays fine.

P.S. Nandu, Thanks for your comment. Thambi is totally adorable and the thought of keeping him did cross my mind but I really dont have the energy to take care of the fellow. And the worst part (that I have faced too as a child) is when pets die. Its traumatic. I'm just happy he came into our lives for a brief while. He is not much far and we will certainly be keeping an eye on him though.

No comments: