Thursday, September 03, 2009

I have been ODing on Hollywood movies these days. And practically, each one has so many swear words it is not funny. Many of these movies are downright idiotic, some are limp, some others are tacky and some more are spaced out.

There are good ones too but I squirmed through so many of them I marvelled how their societies survive. Our much-condemned Hindi movies of the old, if you dilute their exaggerated emotions, exaggerated drama and supernoisy background score, qualify better as entertainers. The reason we wont say so is that we wont go against dude west. Or, should we say dud west here?

They score big time on individuality. There is far greater emphasis on personal freedoms, personal goals, personal successes, and individual beliefs than there is here. And they beat us hollow on self-assurance, one virtue we have lost sight of for the past few centuries. A country of one billion that won't stand up and be counted. A country that would be happy to chant 'Dhammam Sharanam Gachami' because it comes from of-all-places Burma (even if it originated here) but wont say 'Om Namah Shivaya' without feeling retrograde.

I love many things Indian probably because I am too used to it. I love the food, the festivals, the family bonding, qualities of humility and caring for others, hospitality, cleanliness (I dont agree that we are unclean; I dont know how that one came about), consideration, spirit of sacrifice for family, friends and society at large, and our sense of ease with our surroundings whatever they be (that has kept us together).

But there are some things I seriously don't understand: our hypocrisy, our lack of self-pride and attitude of servility, or shall we call it feudal mentality. Even today, submissive is mistaken to be sweet. More than the big, bad west, there is far greater emphasis on staying sweet, never questioning the boss, never putting across your point of view if it's contrary or contentious. In case you do, you are branded a rebel.

Trust me, I have seen this at several places. Each time I wish to voice my thoughts on something disagreeble, I am stopped by a well-meaning colleague or greeted with alarm. Fortunately for me, my professional culture has made it easier for me to speak straight, even with the editors. And my editors, barring a couple of seriously inept ones, have been amazingly open-minded.

But that's my good luck. Most others falter easily and are misunderstood badly. And that's when I worry why we are such suckers. It shouldn't be disrespectful to air your grievances or opinions. The only thing to watch for is how you do it. Do it without shouting or snapping but logically. If your boss is fair-minded, he will come around and explain why your thinking is wrong, or agree that it's right, or appreciate that you think differently.

It's worked for me, and for a few others like me.

No comments: