Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's so easy to become a celeb. You merely have to get a pic in the paper --any paper, any page-- only once and you earn the right to strut around town with the aura of an important living thing. That pic means someone somewhere could possibly recognise you in the near or far future and God, that makes you soooo important.

TV stars, for instance. Each one is in transit to the big screen but ends up adopting the airs of Shah Rukh Khan. (One SRK is bad enough, man!) To me, they all look alike and act alike. I can't tell who acts worse on screen --that main character on Bidaai (the boy who is supposed to get married to the dark girl) or the main character on Dill Mil Gaye, or that seriously deprived Karan of the erstwhile (thank God!) Kyunki Saas bhi ....

Before you summarily disown me as the serial watcher, let me salvage my tarnished reputation and declare that I watch the first serial whenever I can, I like the Archie-like humour of the second -sometimes - and have suffered a few scenes of the last saga.

Ideally, a celeb should mean someone who has done something for the betterment of mankind, and not someone who gets jazzed up for a living. Really. How does that make him/her superior, huh?

I completely and utterly adore AB but I cannot imagine drooling over him or his pictures. Never could, even as a teenager. To me, he is doing a job just as my father did (well, technically, he was a businessman) and now I do. What he does in the public life has a curiosity tag that I dont. Fair enough. Even I want to know more about him whenever I can. I could have met him a few thousand times if I wanted to but I never saw the need. And ironically, this superstar of superstars is as humble as others like SRK are arrogant.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I keep visitng your blog now and then ... I am pained by what has happened to our city ... It is a war and a war by Pakistan. Though I am not figthing the Pakis using AK-47 or guns, I can always be a cyber warrior .. so I am venting my anger by posting some jokes (reality) about Pakis. Please join me in my efforts by posting & circulating them:

----------------------
Did you Hear about the terrorist that hijacked a 747 full of Pakistanis?
He threatened to release one every hour if his demands weren't met.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pak dictator Zia is speeding through Germany with his chauffeur at the wheel on his way to an important address.

Driving down a country road, the chauffeur (who is distracted, looking out the window at the countryside) doesn't see a pig walk out onto the road, and he hits it.

Stopping the car, he jumps out, and Zia climbs out also to see what is going on.
The chauffeur, very distressed by what he's done asks Zia what they should do, and Zia tells him impatiently that they're in a hurry and they should move the pig to the side of the road and go to the address and worry about it later.

All the way to the address the chauffeur, who is a fairly good-hearted person despite his employer, is worried about the family who owned the pig and wondered how they'd react to discovering the pig, so when they arrived he asked Zia whether he shouldn't drive back to the farm and let them know what happened.

Zia agrees before hurrying to the podium, and the Chauffeur hurries back down the road.

Four hours later, he was stumbling down the road, his arms full of gifts.

Zia in a rage demands to know what has happened to him, and the chauffeur explains,
"I did what I thought was right.

I went to the farm where I killed the pig.

When I went and knocked on the door and gave them the news, they gave me these gifts, fed me the best food I've ever tasted and then sent me on my way."

Zia seemed confused by this and asks his chauffeur, "well what exactly did you tell them"

To which the chauffeur replied "I really can't understand it either, all I did was tell them "I'm Zia's Chauffeur, and I killed the pig."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fly drops into mug of 4 people from different countries. Look at their reactions:

Englishman : Throws his mug away and walks out

American : Takes the insect out and drinks the content

Chinese : Eats the insect and throws the content away

Indian : Sells the drink to the American and insect to the Chinese and gets a drink.

Pakistani : Accuses the Indian for throwing insect into his drink, relates the issue to Muslims & Kashmir, asks the Chinese for Military aid, takes a loan from the American to buy one more drink.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In order to develop friendly relationship between the two countries, Atal Behari Vajpayee and Pervez Musharraf decided to visit each other's country regularly.

The first visit was by Vajpayee to Pakistan. There Musharraf showed him Pakistan's modern telecommunication systems. It was so good that Vajpayee made a call to the Devil in hell and talked to him for 5 minutes! The bill for the call came to only Re.1.

When Vajpayee came back, he also wanted India's telecommunication systems to be at the best when Musharraf visited India. Suitable arrangements were made.

Mushrraf came to India, visited the telecom department and talked to Zia-ul-Haq in hell for 5 minutes. But this time, the bill was Rs. 500!

Musharraf asked with a sarcastic smile - "Why are telephone calls to hell so costly in India ?"

A High level diplomat gave a smiling reply - "From Pakistan to hell, it is a local call, Sir, while from India, it is long distance!".