Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Each day, I write a post here. Seriously. Except that I forget to type it out and publish it. Each day, something happens which makes me think, must write this on the blog. It is then consigned to Deletable Memory, that fantastic storage space for everything you WANT to remember. DM ensures it is out of your mind in no time.

No, I dont believe in the theory that you remember what you want to remember. I simply dont. That includes the tens that my husband introduces me to every day. I dread walking anywhere with him because we bump into someone he knows every step of the way. I tell him he should stand for local elections and he will win unopposed. No one will dare fight him.

And then, he insists on introducing me to each of these people. When none of them register on my blank face, thanks to DM, he baldly tells me in front of that person, "You have met him three times before."

I have no option but to beam. Sustaining the embarrassment, I walk on gamely to plunge head-on into another encounter of the close kind.

Anyway, that's not what this post is about. This one is dedicated to my rant on pubs.

Call me utterly, abjectly, disgustingly old-fashioned but I cannot see the fun in pubs. I went to one last week only because it was a must event (that's always the case). An A-rated one in Delhi, the crowd was nice and friendly, my own people. The atmosphere was jovial and happy but, alas, the venue does everything to mar the fun.

There are no lights; so you cant see anyone. There is loud music gatecrashing into your ears; so you cant talk to anyone. There is no place to sit; so you stand forever. There is no room to dance; so we shake our bums on the half-foot space we have managed to reserve on the slippery floor. The bar sells drinks that taste putrid and sorry. The only saving grace is the ban on smoking, which would otherwise have driven me out in five minutes flat.

Oh, what a prude, they say. I'd rather be. Is it so difficult to get a tad sensible and at least try to ensure an atmosphere that is conducive to interacting with one another? Or are we to suffer it because the West has mandated this way of living? Let's get real, guys, and get some self-respect along the way.

1 comment:

Sonali Chaudhari said...

Your views on pubs are similar to mine. Some of my associates think I'm downright abnormal; I thank them & feel I'm better off abnormal if They are normal because of the hell-hole pubs they frequent!