Friday, January 28, 2011

Sorry for having been away for so long.
Life was a maze. And yes, Pixie was a crucial part of it. How can it be otherwise. Without her, life's rather static, the same chores at home and work. Work, of course, has improved and I shouldnt complain. I had feared I would be back in journalism in a flash considering its symbiotic hold over me. But this time, I have persevered well, thanks to some angelic intervention.
It's been almost a year since I went off the media radar and I've loved every moment of it, all the while expecting to dread it. All it takes sometimes to get your life back is to steel yourself to make that one decision you run away from.
For those who came in late, I have branched into communications consultancy- a nascent field and a much-in-demand one too. As I realised the moment I quit my last job. Terrible as I am with peddling my skills, I didnt inform most contacts that I had quit. The issue came up in casual conversations with a few people and there I was, with work pouring in from all kinds of people.
Having become very picky about what I do, - blame it on middle age hormones - I chucked some work and took up some. Soon, I found I enjoyed what I did and as I worked with known people, the comfort level was high.
Apart from corporates, I work with NGOs too and that, is just so satisfying, even if not in terms of moolah. You feel you're contributing to society in some way.  It assuages my guilt for having neglected social work all my life in spite of being born in a family that knows no other way of living. 
Believe it or not, I have yet to print my business cards. I didnt even realise it myself until a friend's friend working with a well-known NGO called me to ask if I could send her my "portfolio". I grinned and said I had none. I listed out my clients and told her I have never needed to make a portfolio. I later realised that almost sounded unprofessional. If I am a consultant I should have my end covered. With business cards, profile,  references from clients, blah blah. But then I told myself, hey, I cant be bothered. I havent needed it yet. So why waste time?
Ciao for now. God bless.
 

1 comment:

Business consultancy said...

Thanks for the post on business consultancy services. I have read your whole post and I really liked it. Great Work.